Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"Don't touch my brain, Mom..."

So many parts of that sentence bemuse me. This was said to me by T the other day when I was getting a little piece of hair off his hear. "Don't touch my brain, Mom." I laughed so loud, Tom came running up the stairs to see what was going on. I told him. He laughed just as loud.

Here's what's getting me though. How does my not quite five year old know that's his brain? How does he even know what a brain is? How does he know that his ear could possible connect to it? How does he know to issue commands like a little dictator (well, I think I have a few ideas on that one)? When did I become Mom? What happened to Mama or Mommy? I miss being his Mama. Luckily, G suddenly decided she wants to call me Mama or Mamana. The latter term is because of the Muppets "Menomena" sketch. They think it's hysterical. They amuse themselves in the car by doing the whole routine together. They fight over who has to the the "Dee-dee-dees." Cracks me up. Almost as much as their horrible knock-knock jokes.

Kindergarten registration is next Friday. I'm in dread of it. T is so absolutely, over the moon, freaking excited about going to "big boy" school that it's breaking my heart - a) because I didn't send him to 3YO preschool and he obviously would have thrived and b) because he's way too excited about leaving me. All I can think about is how much I'm going to miss him. I know I'll still have him however many hours a day and all, but there's something really special about spending time together during the day, when everything is quiet in the neighborhood, we have the park to ourselves. More and more I'm trying to savor these days. I know they're coming to an end sooner than I'm ready for.

No comments:

Post a Comment