Monday, April 24, 2006

Monday, monday...

So when I'm bored and have nothing to say, random song titles pop into my head as titles for my posts. Actually random songs frequently pop into my head for no reason at all. I'm mostly a pop (of all eras) kind of girl, but I love my 70s classic rock and singer/songwriters. We no longer have a local oldies station and that makes me kind of sad. I know the songs were popular nearly twenty years before I was born, but I love them. Something about doo-wop and motown and surfer songs just makes me happy. They're the songs of my teenage years (yes, I was something of an oddball teenager. I chose to listen to the oldies station just as often as the pop station. I also was fond of the light rock station - see yesterday's rambling Air Supply quote).

My DH is a musician, classically trained with rock roots. He listens to the music - the instruments - in songs and bases his like or dislike of songs on that alone. I, on the other hand, can't NOT hear the lyrics. I'm a writer at heart and lyrics are nothing more than poetry. Add to this a bizarre memory that allows me to remember my best friend in fifth grades birthday (June 10th), but not what I had for dinner last night or that I needed to call my surgeon on Friday (I did it this morning because I wrote it down after I remembered Saturday morning). Leaves me with a vast and useless knowledge of song lyrics. Pretty much every song I've ever heard I can sing along with. I can't necessarily sing the songs without hearing them (not so great a singer, am I - if I were young enough, I might just audition for American Idol just so I could be one of the "ghastly" ones they show for everyone to pity/mock/laugh at. No, not really. I don't really care to have my fifteen minutes.) 80s pop, 90s country, 70s classic rock - I'm actually sad that so much of my brain space is used by such useless information. However, if you're playing Trivial Pursuit, pick me for your team. That monumental amount of useless song knowledge extends to trivia too.

No comments:

Post a Comment