Thursday, September 21, 2006

About being thirty...

Something I've noticed lately - I'm constantly checking out how old people are and comparing where I am in my life to theirs. And I'm talking completely unrealistic comparisons. My sister and I went to a Navy football game a few weeks ago and they had a graduate who was on the Discovery in July. She graduated in 1993. I said, "Uh, oh, I graduated in 94 - I only have one year to get into space." My sister just laughed at me. Then I realized that was college. Well, I graduated from college in 1998. So I have five years to get into space. Yes, that's much more realistic.

Why this comparison? I'm pretty happy with where my life is. I mean, I'm not changing the world, although I may be raising someone who will. I'm not really contributing at all on any grand scale. I'm raising three children as best I can. And I don't want to be doing anything else. But part of me sees that Rachael Ray is only eight years older than me and I can't help but think that I won't have a talk show in eight years - nor a dozen Food Network shows. I don't want a talk show - I'm really not good at small talk and I don't want to have to be in a good mood every day. How much would that suck?

Tom did this same thing two years ago when he turned thirty. I think it's just a way of rethinking how old you are. Like previously anyone who was remotely successful was eons older than me (even if they weren't) and now I'm looking at things differently. So I think my brain is just trying to figure out how old I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment