Monday, May 22, 2006

How things change...

When I was in school, the day the teachers started taking down classroom decorations and boxing up books and things was the greatest day of the year (well, up there, at any rate). I was (am) one of those weird kids who loved - LOVED - the first day of school. It was so full of anticipation, a clean slate. I just found it so exciting. However, that doesn't mean that I wasn't also one of those kids who counted down to the last day, even if it was with a measure of sadness.

Today, T's teachers were taking down the decorations. I immediately got a tear in my eye. I was so very sad to see this year of preschool end. Next fall kindergarten begins and it's a whole new world. Here kindergarten is all day, every day and mandatory. I know it's ridiculous and I never understood it before I had kids, but I can't stand the thought of losing him to school. In a very short time, he's going to be at school more hours than he's with me in a day. And that makes me sad. G will be in preschool two days a week. For some reason, I'm not so sad. I'm a little concerned about how she'll do, but not hurting at the idea of not being her main influence. Maybe it's because she'll only be gone five hours a week. Maybe it's because she's my second child. Maybe it's because she just seems to need more stimulation than she gets at home.

Makes me think about how differently each child is parented due to nothing more than their birth order. Makes me think about me and my sister and brother. I'm the oldest. I don't remember my mother being upset at my leaving for school. But I think that's part of the mark of good parenting - letting your child take that next step with your support no matter how you feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment