Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Not that I don't love the Beatles...

But two weeks in a row? Seriously? Oh, wait sorry, last week was Lennon-McCartney, this week it's the Beatles. That's totally different. I guess it's better than some bizarre and awkward theme night (like we're sure to get into next week). Um, thanks, American Idol. I know who the Beatles are. I'm frightened, though, that their target demographic probably doesn't.

Amanda - Back in the USSR - A good rocker Beatles song, not a bad choice, but it's got those parts where she can't scream and it all gets lost. The parts where she can do that scream-sing thing she does (which I kind of like) were good and energetic. Isn't that weird? She's so into onstage and so quiet talking to her.

Kristy Lee Cook - You Got to Hide Your Love Away - She's really boring on the stage. I know it's a slower song, but she seems to only know how to do a fast dance (not that it's that great, but still). I could like this version of this song, but I don't know. I just don't.

David Archuleta - The Long and Winding Road - This is my absolute, number one, all time favorite Beatles song - possibly my all time favorite song ever - in general. And I'm not really a David A. fan. I'm trying really hard not to let my love for the song and lack of love for him color my opinion, but it's hard. That's such a fabulous song, how can anyone live up to it? No, Randy don't F up my favorite song with runs and crap. Just sing it if you must. But doesn't David A always sing songs like this?

Michael Johns - A Day in the Life - DH and I recently saw Rain: the Beatles Experience. This song stuck with me the most. They really did a great job. He did not. He really screwed up that one part. I like the song choice, though, it's a little off the beaten path.

Brooke White - Here Comes the Sun - I'm not sure I approve of the obvious sunshine yellow dress for this song. I love her voice and the simple acoustic arrangement of this song. Obviously having a favorite makes me look at her differently.

David Cook - Daytripper - Okay, I will admit up front that he is my favorite. I'm not into pop or R & B. I like rock, punk, alternative. Very cool, although a little something different would help.

Carly Smithson - Blackbird - I don't know why, but I find her boring to watch. Not just in slow songs like this. This is the best I've ever heard her voice sound, though.

Jason Castro - Michelle - I speak French and could be picky, but I like him so I'll cut him some slack. This is perfectly sweet, but nothing special. And he's one of my favorites, so my not loving it says something.

Syesha - Yesterday - She looked like she was going to cry the entire time. It was pretty and heartfelt but what Paula said about connecting with the eyes.

Chikezie - Falling - Trying to exactly recapture the magic he found last week. Actually, he doesn't do too bad a job with it. I wasn't sold at first, but once he whipped out that harmonica (at which point I was still skeptical), I got into it with him.

Ramiele Malubay - I Should Have Known Better - I didn't recognize the title of this, but of course I knew it as soon as she started singing it. It may be peppier than last week, but it's not any more interesting.

Bottom three - Ramiele, Kristy, Amanda

Top three - David Cook, Carly (high praise from me), um, actually I can't pick a third this week. Pretty much else everyone else fell into mediocrity tonight.

1 comment:

  1. love reading your AI comments. I agree with so much of what you say. It is hard to be objective with a favorite song and or an unfavorite performer. I stink at doing that. Im glad that Amanda is gone but I think it should have been Kristy first.

    ReplyDelete