Friday, March 14, 2008

Is there a help group for amoxicillian addicts?

My almost 5 year old daughter is scamming me to try to get amoxicillin. I think I should worry about her. Although, I told Tom that if they didn't make medicine taste so good, she wouldn't fake an ear infection to try to get more. And I'm pretty sure she's faking. Not that I have any way to tell for sure, but when I told she couldn't go to preschool, suddenly her ear felt better. It really only seems to hurt when I want her to clean up or do something she doesn't want to do. I've lost sympathy for her.

This has been a rough year for me. I'm not one to run to the doctor unless there's a really clear emergency. When I broke my ankle and it was hanging at a 45 degree angle to my leg (to the left), I didn't fight medical attention. I ignored my gallbladder symptoms until I was almost in tears every day and could barely move if I so much as sipped a little water. But then I had the same pain with no logical explanation (turns out it is scar tissue and I just have to deal) and a suspicious mole and have been in and out of doctor's office since this time last year. And then I got pregnant, so even more doctor's visits.

Since I'm this way for myself, I have a difficult time deciding when to take my kids to the doctor. Mr. T doesn't complain. Ever. So if he says something hurts, off we go. He's been to the doctor for sick visits a total of three times in his life. Miss G, well, she's a bit of a whiner. It's hard to tell if she's just tired and feels a little tiny bit bad or if it's the end of the world. Usually I make her take a nap and that cures her. But she did have her first ear infection, and her first sick visit in 4 years and 9 months, just this past January. She's also fortunate to not get anything as bad as everyone else gets it. Miss S has only had a sick visit when she fell and hurt her foot. I actually had my first visit to emergent care (see January 1 or so's post). She seems to get sick more like her big sis.

Sometimes I think I don't take them in often enough, but since I know that there's nothing the pediatrician can do for a cold, I don't bother unless the cold's gone on for a long time and isn't getting better. And stomach bugs - no sense spreading those nasty germs around if we can avoid it.

...very, very thankful for good health...

No comments:

Post a Comment