Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Idols Top Twelve take on the Beatles...

This is very risky for me. Where Randy, Paula and Simon think no one can compare to Celine and Whitney (both of whom I can't stand), I fear that I'm going to think no one can compare to the Beatles. Just for the record, my top five Beatles songs: "The Long and Winding Road", "Eleanor Rigby", "Here Comes the Sun", "In My Life", "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da". I don't know if any of those are outside of Lennon-McCartney (Tom could tell you - he knows that sort of thing, but he's got play rehearsal tonight, thankfully).

Syesha "Got to Get You Into My Life" I've liked her so much better in other weeks. I appreciate the bluesy thing she did with the song, but I'm guessing this is going to end up near the low-middle of the night's performances for me.

Chikezie "She's A Woman" I like this - completely taking it out the context of the Beatles. Also a good song choice becuase I don't know this Beatles song like I know so many others. I am not a Chikezie fan, but I might be after this. Wow.

Ramiele "In My Life" Uh, oh. One of my top five that I listed above. I thought I'd hate it, but except for the breathiness, it's fine. Maybe because I also think of the Bette Midler version from "For the Boys" (is that the right movie?). I'm still not a fan, but she's a solid 2/3 singers for me so far. So the judges have realized what I said from week one of the top 24 - Sing well, suck, doesn't matter. DON'T BE BORING!

Jason Castro "If I Fell" This was a pretty subdued performance from him, but I liked it. I like the little thing in his voice. I really would love to see him kick it up a little. I think he can do it and still stick to the acoustic style thing he's got going on.

Carly "Come Together" First of all, who put this girl in a dress that would make the tabloids wonder how far along she is? I'm thinking the judges are going to eat this up, but I'm not really loving it. I get that she's trying to "make it her own" but it's such a recognizable song that it's really hard to do that. She just seemed like she didn't remember the words.

David Cook "Eleanor Rigby" Another of my favorites. Again, I have to say that this? This is totally what I would listen to. I would download this version and play it over and over. I might just do that tomorrow. Wouldn't that be a cool way to decide the next American Idol?

Brooke "Let It Be" She's playing piano. Yay! I love that they're letting them use instruments this season, even if some people use them more as a prop than anything. Random fact: Tom and his mom had their dance at our wedding to this song. Brooke sings this beautifully. Love the big finish.

David Hernandez "I Saw Her Standing There" Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about him. Dude is totally going home. Is this country? Motown? What? But you know what? I'm totally going to have this song stuck in my freaking head all week. Like I've had "it's all coming back to me" in my head since he sang it last week. For that, I cannot forgive.

Amanda Overmeyer "You Can't Do That" A good idea to choose a lesser known Beatles song. I was having trouble thinking of her singing anything of theirs. Those pants. Oh, my eyes. Add the stripey hair and not a good combo there. She doesn't sound as gasping as she usually does and she sounds great - not at all Beatles, though. I still think she's in danger this week. Unless David takes the bullet for her.

Michael Johns "Across the Universe" Just keep him talking. He doesn't even have to sing. I'd vote for him. I didn't recognize the title, but now I know it. I like it, but honestly, it's a bit boring. It's the best his voice has sounded this entire time, though. That's good, because up to this point, I wasn't sure if he could sing or just ooze charisma.

Kristy Lee Cook "Eight Days A Week" Oh, yeah, I forgot about her too. She's not kidding about a risk. I like country, so my objection isn't to that part. It's to her lack of conviction and weak singing and weird body movements and jeans that need to made into rags and those stupid little eye things she does. On the other hand, I totally respect that she went to where she wanted to be.

David Archuleta "We Can Work It Out" What a suck-tastic arrangement of that. Seriously, not my taste at all. I haven't liked him before, but this is just annoying.

Top three: Chikezie, David Cook, Brooke
Bottom three: David Hernandez, Amanda, Syesha. If David doesn't go home, a travesty has occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment