Tuesday, May 13, 2008

AI - Down to three

Final three, huh? Not the final three I would have guessed. If you'd asked me in week 1, I would have told you no way would a girl be there. I'd have gotten the other two, but I think I"d have had Michael Johns in there.

David A.

First song
"And So It Goes" This is among my favorite Billy Joel songs. What is it with this kid picking my favorite songs? Oh, yeah. I can blame Paula for this one. She should have picked "Dirty Deeds (Done Dirt Cheap)" or something to actually shake him up. But I bet he could manage to smarm that up. This isn't horrible, but I don't think he knows what he's singing about it. Maybe that's why I don't like him. He sings well, he acts intense, but the emotional connection just isn't there.

"With You" I don't know this song, but the lyrics sound like it's a test for the teeny-bopper market to see if he can pull this heartthrob thing off. How gross. I might be getting old. It sounds like EVERYTHING ELSE HE'S EVER SUNG. How is that?

"Longer"
Oh, this song. Sure, I know this. This is the music of my childhood. My parents were latter day hippies, at least my dad was. Sounds like another test of his "heartthrob" appeal. Surprisingly, I think this might be his best tonight. Maybe even...the best of the night.

Syesha
"If I Ain't Got You"
Yeah, this is why I don't like her. I hate this type of music. It's just boring. I recognize that she's singing well, but I'd turn the station if this came on the radio.

"Fever"
I like this song and I think she can really do a good job with it. Maybe a little predictable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. She's definitely an actress. I like the retro feel better than the contemporary R&B thing.


Nice job, producers. Pick a song about penguins. That's not really showcasing her voice. I wonder what the motivation behind choosing this was.

David Cook
"First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"
Simon's pick. See, this is how I would have picked for each of them. Something out there and out of the comfort zone. Plus, I don't think we've heard much ballad-y from him. Just sort of straight singing it so far. I'm a little surprised, but I think he has a good instinct for when to screw with arrangements and when not to.

"Dare You to Move"
I didn't think I knew that song, but it turns out I recognized it. It started out pretty rough, but I think he got there by the end - although Paula's remarks were shockingly spot on. I felt like it was just starting when he ended.

"I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing"
One of my very favorite Aerosmith songs. It starts slow, but he really makes it into something, despite the short time. What is with Paula? See you in the finals to DC just after telling Syesha she wasn't getting in? Was this a ploy? If so - to keep DC out of the final? In which case, that will suck ass.

I'm thinking a David-David finale. Syesha was just too forgettable. I could be wrong though, especially if the Paula predictions have any bearing on the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment