Friday, November 20, 2009

More digital simplifying...

That I think will lead to actual simplifying. I tend to get caught up in certain crazes. Sometimes I eschew crazes all together because I generally dislike being on any bandwagon blindly. I don't mind being on bandwagons, just not blindly. I hopped on Twilight, Sookie Stackhouse, knitting, Big Bang Theory...all done with intent and only after I decided it was really for me.

But I think the internet creates a whole new sort of keeping up with the Joneses. I have to keep off of knitting sites because I'll order (or wish I could order) loads of yarn and patterns and books that I'll never use. I don't read scrapping websites because I'll buy more stuff for that hobby that I'll never use. I see people doing all these cool crafts that my left side of my brain realizes are not for me, but my creative right side says "Ooh, pretty! Let's make that!"

My latest craze was quilting. I gave it a try and didn't really love it, but I still want to get a new quilting sewing machine and buy all these quilting kits. I think a better machine really would make the process more enjoyable, but honestly, it's just not something I can see myself doing every day. Or even more than when someone I know is having a baby or as holiday gifts.

So now I'm going through my Google reader and unsubscribing from all the beautiful quilting blogs I was following. I think I'm going to do the same with a lot of the digital scrapbooking blogs I follow. I click "mark as read" on those two categories more often than not.

I think new new craze should be organizing. And doing more than just following the blogs. Actual organizing. (Left side of brain laughs and wishes the right side of my brain luck)

No comments:

Post a Comment